Breaking News

Comet Chronicles

Comet Chronicles

Comet Chronicles

Santa Love Story
December 20, 2023
Rainbow
December 20, 2023
School Dance
December 20, 2023

KCMS TV: The Inaugural Episode

Finding out more about Century’s first-ever video announcements
Joe Volk
Recording the first-ever KCMS News

The KCMS TV media crew released their very first KCMS News on September 15, 2023. The advisor, Ms. Beers, started the media program so students could have fun learning new skills and so they could express themselves through media and technology, all while building positive school community.

KCMS TV is possible because of the addition of a new multimedia core plus class and students who volunteered to come in early before school.

“While we were producing the news show, we were really stressed out and worried about finishing on time,” explained advisor Ms. Beers. “However, after the final edit was completed, I was very happy and incredibly proud of the students.”

Students and staff had overwhelmingly positive feedback after the first news show aired, but the KCMS TV staff saw room for improvement.

“I think it went pretty good, like we probably need to improve time management because we were really scrambling at the last part. We also need to improve transitions because I thought they were kind of boring and sloppy… I think it went pretty good,”said Lily Dusenbery, 7th grade multimedia student and KCMS staff member.

Lily recorded the voiceover for the land acknowledgement and works behind the scenes. There’s a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes, but it’s probably the work of the two anchors that is most noticeable by viewers.

“I think it went pretty well for our first time doing something we haven’t done,” said seventh grader anchor Leti Abeyta. Leti also felt like getting announcements submitted on-time and last minute editing were a challenge.

Advisor Ms. Beers already has ideas for improvements and thoughts for the next time news shows. “Going forward, I only expect things to improve. We look forward to utilizing teleprompters so our anchors can look directly at the camera. We’re also hoping to have better audio once we have a camera that support microphone input,” said Beers.

7th grader Danika Barber was the other anchor for the first news show: “I think it went good… we didn’t have enough time to edit after…”

Overall the first news video was good but the people behind the scenes and on camera are hoping that over time the show will get better and the cuts will get smoother. Make sure to tune in every Friday to KCMS TV – and check out the YouTube channel.