Breaking News

Comet Chronicles

Comet Chronicles

Comet Chronicles

Santa Love Story
December 20, 2023
Rainbow
December 20, 2023
School Dance
December 20, 2023

Clubs at Century Middle School

Clubs are a great thing at Century, bringing together groups of students with similar interests and allowing them to explore their passion. Century offers a variety of clubs, so that every student can find at least one club they like.

Art Club

If you want to express your inner self you should join art club. This club involves things like drawing and painting. Take out all your emotions on a canvas or piece of paper.

Art Club meets Mondays from 4:15-5:15 in G101. Mrs. Pierre, one of our two Art teachers here at Century is the sponsor for this club.

Aviation/ Drone Club

“Well there’s nothing else like it so for students interested in aviation it gives them a chance to learn about aviation and fly drones and explore careers they might be interested in.” – Mr. CB, club sponsor

Aviation/ Drone Club meets Wednesdays after school until 4:45. Mr. Crump-Bertrum, most commonly called Mr. CB, is the sponsor.

Basketball

Basketball is a competitive club that will both sharpen basketball skills, but will also have competitions.   

Girls basketball will take place from October to December. The  tournament   games will take place in December, with five other games throughout the rest of the school year. 6th grade tournament games will be at Century. 7th: Silver Hills. 8th: Shadow Ridge. Boys basketball will take place from March to May. The tournament games will take place in April, with other games during the season. Places for the Tournament games are TBD

Battle of the Books

“So I think battle of the books is unique to first of all kids…who want to read for fun. I think it’s attractive to those kids specifically.” – Mrs. Aylor, club sponsor

Battle of the Books is sponsored by Mrs. Worosylo and Mrs. Aylor. They meet on Tuesdays, at the front doors, typically every two weeks, at 8:00am. 

Cross Country

“I think…some of them they like running and are excited to be part of a team that also likes running. There’s some that they just enjoy being with friends and being outside. Some of them might not be super into running but they like being with their friends and being outside.” – Mr. Sharrow, club sponsor

Cross Country meets on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 4-5 after school by the track. It is sponsored by Mr. Sharrow and Mr. Frank. 

Harambee

“…I think it’s a place where they feel safe and comfortable, a place where they can just be with students with similar backgrounds so it just creates a community and a place to be themselves. It is just also a place to have fun and make new friends.” – Mr. Hall, club sponsor

Harambee meets on the first and third Tuesday of every month from 4:15-5:00 in the library. Mr. Hall is the sponsor.

Jazz Band

“Jazz band is a little more challenging than normal band class and we play a lot of different styles of music that are just fun for the students.” – Mr. CB, club sponsor

Jazz Band meets before school on Tuesdays and Thursday from 8-8:30. Students will be selected for this club, it isn’t one anyone can join. Students will be chosen based on interest and skill. 

KCMS TV

“KCMS TV is Century’s student-run media program. We film a weekly news program and produce video features that are relevant and interesting to our community.”

KCMS TV meets Thursday and Friday mornings at 7:45am. Meet in front of the main entrance. Ms. Beers is the sponsor.  It is highly recommended that you take the Multimedia core plus class before or while you are in the club.

Makerspace

This club does a variety  of projects such as tech project and building projects

Makerspace meets every Monday from 4:15-5:00 in G100. The sponsor of this club is Mrs. Greenburg.

Math Counts

“Students want to explore math more deeply and challenge themselves with activities that are tough but fun.” – Mrs. Yawin, club sponsor

MathCounts meets every Thursday from 4:00-5:00. The sponsor is Mrs. Yawin and MathCounts meets in her room.

Musical

This year’s musical is Finding Nemo, Jr. Tryouts will be in November. 

Mrs. Swain and Mrs. Espey are the sponsors.

NJHS

NJHS is a club you must be invited to to join. It meets the first Wednesday of every month in the library from 7:40-8:35. Mrs. Swain and Mrs. Espey are the sponsors.

OASIS

“I think they like it because it gives them a chance to go out to a park or a place of nature. Gets kids out there in a beautiful nature environment where they can hang out with their friends and meet new friends.” – Mr. Garner, club sponsor

OASIS typically meets on the second and fourth Monday of every month from 4:00-4:45 in F207, with hikes typically on the fourth Wednesday of every month from 4:00-9:00. Ms. Colston and Mr. Garner are the sponsors.

Safe Space

“Kids like safe space because it gives them an opportunity to be themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community.”- Mrs. Espey, club sponsor

Safe space meets Wednesdays after school in B100 until 4:50. Mrs. Espey and Mrs. Gilo are the sponsors. 

Show Choir

“I think the kids that are in it enjoy singing but also like to do choreography and it showcases their skill and they make good friends.” – Mrs. Espey club sponsor 

Show Choir meets Tuesday and Thursday before school from 8:15-8:45 in B100. Mrs. Espey is the sponsor. The club will have performances at the start of certain events.

Ski/Snowboard Club

“For a lot of students it’s the only opportunity they have to go skiing or snowboarding because their families don’t do it and for the others it’s just a chance to go with their friends and not their families. We also do an overnight trip at the YMCA so that makes it a lot of fun as well.” – Mr. CB, club sponsor

The Ski/Snowboard club will be taking a trip February first- February third. This trip costs a lot of money, with $175  for the lift alone, $100 for the travel bus and $125 for food, not including lunch. There may be additional expenses as well. This is sponsored by Mr. CB

Student Council

“Those students really like being part of the community and making Century a better class using your leadership skills” – Mrs. Espey

Student Council works closely with NJHS, the only difference is that Student Council is open to all students. It also meets the first Wednesday of each month in the Library from 7:40-8:35. Mrs. Espey and Mrs. Swain are the sponsors.

Ultimate Frisbee Club

“Because you don’t need a lot of equipment and have you ever thrown a frisbee? … Throwing a frisbee is cool … I think kids think it’s cool to learn how to throw in different ways and it’s still competitive.” – Mr. Brask club sponsor

Ultimate Frisbee Club will start on September 11th and will be every Monday after that. Ultimate Frisbee meets in the CMS softball field and is run by Mr. Brask. 

Girls Volleyball

This is a sport returning after covid and may continue next year if all goes well.

Girls Volleyball is only for seventh and eighth graders and will be from January – March.