Breaking News

Comet Chronicles

Comet Chronicles

Comet Chronicles

Santa Love Story
December 20, 2023
Rainbow
December 20, 2023
School Dance
December 20, 2023

Makerspace – an After-School Club

Maker+space+participants+working+on+project+together.+
Joseph Volk
Maker space participants working on project together.

Mrs. Greenberg is hosting makerspaces club on Thursdays from 4:00 pm -5:00 pm in order to bring creativity into the world of math, makerspace is a club where students can create craft projects with loads of different materials.

Makerspace has been going on for around 8-10 years. They started off with mostly paper projects and worked their way up to bigger projects. They originally had meetings in the library but they eventually changed to room G100 (art room).

“We started off really simple just doing projects, making things out of paper, 3d objects, paper toys, all kinds of stuff. Then we started building towards a bigger club, getting more projects.”  Mrs. Greenberg the art teacher said.

As Makerspace grew and gained more traction it started getting donations, these donations allowed Makerspace to get new things like a 3d printer and a sewing machine. 

“We Slowly built it over maybe 8-10 years, over each year we’ve gotten lots of generous donations that’ve gotten us all our supplies.” Mrs. Greenberg explained.

Makerspace is a club where students can make whatever their heart desires. They have tech projects, craft projects, paper projects, building projects, and other student suggested ideas. Makerspace sometimes even has people who come in to teach students about building project.

“It’s a place for kids to come and just be creative and try new things and problem solve through materials,” said Mrs. Greenberg.

Makerspace was originally created to bring creativity into math. Many of the projects that are done at makerspace are unfortunately unable to fit into the curriculum anymore. By creating a space with accessible materials it allows for that creativity not to be lost.

“We created makerspace to kind of bring back creativity into the problem solving world of math and we wanted to kind of bring in projects that we weren’t able to fit into the curriculum anymore.” Mrs. Greenberg answered. 

Makerspace is on Thursdays from 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm and all of the 2023-2024 meetings are Oct 5,  Oct 12,   Nov 9,  Nov 30,  Dec 14,  Jan 11,  Jan18,  Feb 1,  Feb 15,  Mar 14,  Mar 28,  Apr 11,  Apr 18,  May 2, and  May 16. Every student is welcome.